Saturday 19 July 2014

CAE & CPE useful language for the speaking exam. Part 3 – discuss with your partner

Agreeing

You made a good point when you said …
Well, that’s an interesting point!
I take your point.

Disagreeing

Potentially offensive

I can’t see how that’s relevant to the question.
I can’t see what you’re getting at really

Softened

In my opinion, the point that you have just raised does not seem to relate to the topic at hand.
I'm sorry, but I am having difficulty in understanding the point that you are making. 
I'm having some trouble seeing the relevance of that, can you explain how it applies?

IMPORTANT NOTE: The effect that a disagreement provokes in your peer relies mostly on the tone in which it is said. For more information, visit this thread where I asked for help.

Suggesting

Why don’t we think about …?
This seems to me to be a good idea to discuss.
We could link this to …

Justifying and clarifying

I’m sure that’s right, because …
What I meant by that is …
What I said was …
So what you really mean is …
So when you said …, you meant …

Asking for opinions

What do you think?
Are you with me on that one?
Anything to add?

Do you think/feel the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment