Saturday 26 July 2014

Grammar - Causatives (let, make, have, get)

Let
FORM
[let + person + verb]
USE
This construction means "to allow someone to do something."
Examples:
“Tony’s parents wouldn’t let him have a new smartphone.”
“Let me live!”
“Sheila didn’t let him enter after what he had done to her.”

Make
FORM
[make + person + verb]
USE
This construction means "to force someone to do something."
Examples:
"My mother made me attend that stupid speech."
"Our teacher has made us do an insane amount of work."
"Oliver made Charlie kiss the frog. Yuck!"

Have
FORM
[have + person + verb]
USE
This construction means "to give someone the responsibility to do something."
Examples:
"Mrs. Weasley had his husband swipe the landing."
"I’ll have my brother send you the package, auntie."
"Please have your secretary fax me the document."

Get
FORM
[get + person + to + verb]
USE
This construction usually means "to convince to do something" or "to trick someone into doing something."
Examples:
"He got her wife to stop watching that reality show."
"They are getting their uncle to lend them his cottage in the country."
"We’ll get the builders to move the skip tomorrow morning."

Get vs. Have
Sometimes "get someone to do something" is interchangeable with "have someone do something," but these expressions do not mean exactly the same thing.
Examples:
·       got the mechanic to check my brakes.
At first the mechanic didn't think it was necessary, but I convinced him to check the brakes.
·       had the mechanic check my brakes.
I asked the mechanic to check the brakes.

1 comment:

  1. Using grammar and rules in writing is so important. Some causative shared here for clearing any confusion with them. Grammatical error free content always look great.

    ReplyDelete