Monday 21 July 2014

FCE, CAE & CPE useful language for the writing exam – Essay

Hello! Here are some useful expressions for our essays. I’ll enlarge the list in moderate chunks as I find more of these, so keep an eye for more entries like this!

Introduction

It is often said that …
This is a hotly-debated topic.
This is a topic that is often discussed but rarely solved.
Many people feel that …
There has come a time in which …
It is yet to be known whether …

Linking ideas

While many may agree with this, it may still be a mistake.
Conversely, it may be inappropriate for this situation.
On the contrary, it is seen by many as an excellent solution to the problem.
While I can see some benefits, these may be outweighed by the disadvantages.
On one hand …, on the other hand…
In ancient times, …
Furthermore, …
What for, if …
But even more worryingly is the fact that …
On the plus side, …

Giving opinions

It seems to me that …
In my opinion, this is …
From my perspective, this seems to be …
To be honest, I feel that …

Conclusion

To sum up, it seems to me that …
To sum up, it appears that …
On balance, I feel that …

Taking all the arguments into account, I would say that …

No comments:

Post a Comment